About 2000 Hired To Protest Against The Service Chiefs On Monday – Presidency

0
291

The Presidency has revealed that the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), hired about 2000 persons to participate in an ‘orchestrated’ protest march against the nation’s security service chiefs.

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, also revealed that a recent clip showing a few persons booing during President Muhammadu Buhari’s sympathy visit to Maiduguri last week was part of a scheme to sell a lie about the administration to the undescerning.

The statement, however, described those behind the planned protest, which it said followed in the pattern of those recently mounted against justices of the Supreme Court, as beneficiaries of the Boko Haram terrorrism.

It, however, advised the general public, including the media to be wary of the alleged antics of those it accused of plotting to embarrass the administration of President Buhari and plotting against Nigeria.

“The Presidency wishes to caution a section of the political class against misleading the public and inciting protests against the heads of military institutions.

“This has become necessary in view of received reports that about two thousand men and women have been hired to demonstrate against Nigeria’s service chiefs on Monday.

“This imminent gathering is the latest in a series of demonstrations orchestrated by the opposition to embarrass the government of President Muhammadu Buhari.

“As part of this overall scheme, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, with its belligerent politics, has been marching from one embassy to the other in protest against the Buhari administration and the nation’s highest court of justice, the Supreme Court. They are keen to give the impression that Nigerians are in support of them as they take to the streets, and they will go to any length to promote this false narrative.

“The recent incident in Maiduguri, Borno State, where an overwhelmingly cheering crowd gathered to welcome President Buhari, while a handful were recorded booing him, is a part this elaborate scheme. It is misleading, as some analysts have tried to do, to read this as verdict against President Buhari, who emerged winner with 94 per cent of the votes cast in the Presidential election in the state in February last year.

“This was clearly a hired few, but the news was promoted by the opposition who had of course positioned themselves to record the booing – all just to embarrass the President.

“We urge the media to remain unbiased and discerning in their reporting, instead of becoming unwitting tools in the hands of the opposition.

“A group of politicians and beneficiaries of the Boko Haram insurgency is right now paying for people to join their planned protest against our country’s service chiefs, and they will no doubt seek the media’s collaboration on this as usual.

“But there is news and there is promoted content – two very different things, one of which should never make the headlines as these recent fake protests have done”, the statement said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here